Monday, July 31, 2017

If you memorized your lines for an in-class ten-minute play...

Name the play, its author, and reflect on the process and product. (minimum 200 words)


(Skip a line between paragraphs.)

3 comments:

  1. In Carrie Luft's ten-minute play "Punch and Duty", I played the character of Val. I'm really glad that I chose to memorize my lines for this play, because it allowed me to perform actions without the distraction and hindrance of a script in my hands. I was able to better imagine and become Val on stage, because of the opportunity that I had to really focus on my expression of the character, the inflection of my voice, and little details and mannerisms that made Val who she is. Memorization comes easy to me—I didn't have to work as much on line memorization outside of school as I expected, which allowed me to use my time at home to brainstorm ways to bring Val's vibrant personality to life on stage. I also think that my group and I used our class time productively and efficiently, which also contributed to the speeding up of the memorization process. The performance turned out to be a lot of fun, especially when the humorous aspect of the show was drawn out by our characters. I confess I was extremely hesitant to take this on because of the amount of lines my character had. Especially because some of my lines were large paragraphs that I knew I'd have to somehow keep in my head while trying to embody a whole other person. I was surprised, though, because when the time finally came for me to perform, it came quite naturally. I feel that the performance really flowed, and I had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you did a great job in your performace of the character Val in this play. You really brought this character to life and were able to add intonation into your lines, showing that you fully knew your lines. I enjoyed reading this reflection because it showed your process in performing this play. I like that you said how you were hesitant to take on this challenge, but I am glad you did because it turned out great. Nice job!

      Delete
  2. The play which I memorized is called “Free the Frogs” written by Carrie Luft. In this play I was a very understanding and benevolent guidance counselor called Mr. Steve Simms. Overall the process of memorizing wasn’t very difficult for me. I do think that having time during class time to practice our plays was very useful because I was able to practice repeating my lines which helped me once I began to memorize. The two ways I approach memorization is either by repetition or by thinking by different scenes. For some lines I would just repeat it and repeat it until it was stuck in my head. I did this often with the longer paragraph lines. What I mean by thinking by different scenes is that often I was able to remember my lines better by thinking of what is going on in the play in a specific scene or moment. Memorizing took some time outside of school time but that was mainly only for the longer lines I had to memorize. Overall I am really glad that I decided to memorize my lines because once it came to the performance, it allowed me to portray my character’s personality at the very best because I did not have to be reading while acting. The great thing about memorizing is that it allows you to have great understanding of the plot and of your character as well.

    ReplyDelete